Big Cat Population Research
Want to suggest an additional source for this page? Contact WADTT here.
UNITED STATES BIG CAT POPULATION CENSUSES
- Werner, B. (2005). Distribution, abundance and reproductive biology of captive Panthera Tigris populations living within the United States of America assessment. Feline Conservation Federation, 49(2), 24-25.
- Culver, L. (2011). How many cats are in USDA licensed facilities in the US? Feline Conservation Federation.
- Chambers, K. (2017). 2016 FCF Big Cat Census. Feline Conservation Federation, 61(2), 8-11.
ACADEMIC SOURCES DISCUSSING CAPTIVE TIGER POPULATIONS IN THE UNITED STATES
- Nyhus, P., Tilson, R., & Tomlinson, J. (2003). Dangerous animals in captivity: Ex situ tiger conflict and implications for private ownership of exotic animals. Zoo Biology, 22(6), 573-586. doi:10.1002/zoo.10117 [PDF]
- Williamson, D. F., & Henry, L. A. (2008). PAPER TIGERS? The Role of the U.S. Captive Tiger Population in the Trade in Tiger Parts. TRAFFIC North America. [PDF]
- Nyhus, P. J., & Tilson, R. L. (2009). The Conservation Value of Tigers: Separating Science from Fiction. Journal of the Wildcat Conservation and Legal Aid Society, 1, 29-41. [PDF]
- Nyhus, P. J., Ambrogi, M., Dufrane, C., Shoemaker, A., & Tilson, R. (2009). The status and evolution of laws and policies regulating privately owned tigers in the United States. Journal of the WildCat Conservation Legal Aid Society, 1, 47-64. [PDF]
- Tilson, R., & Nyhus, P. J. (Eds.). (2009). Tigers of the world: the science, politics and conservation of panthera tigris. Academic Press. [Book]
- Nyhus, P. J., Tilson, R., & Hutchins, M. (2010). Thirteen Thousand and Counting: How Growing Captive Tiger Populations Threaten Wild Tigers. In Tigers of the World (2nd ed., pp. 223-240). Elsevier. [PDF]
Rachel is an educator and animal science writer. With prior professional experience in zookeeping, visitor education, shelter behavior management, and more, she works to translate pertinent field-specific knowledge into comprehensive explanations about current animal related topics.